Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)

Background is a light orange rectangle bordered on the top and bottom by navy blue horizontal lines. On the right, is an image of white hands handling paper money. To the right is navy blue and white text reading "Get help paying your home energy costs." Below the text is a navy blue rectangle with white text reading "LEARN MORE" with a white computer mouse icon inside an orange circle.

PDF Version

The Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federally funded program that helps low-income eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a yearly benefit in the form of credit to your gas/propane and/or electric bill. Many people with disabilities are eligible for this benefit! Benefit dollar amounts can vary, but may reach several hundreds of dollars per year!

Benefit amounts are set according to the following factors:

  1. Household income
  2. Number of persons living at the address
  3. Type of dwelling
  4. Type of heating fuel
  5. Utility rates

To qualify, households must:

  • - Not exceed the income limits in the chart below
  • - Be personally responsible for the heating fuel costs payable
    to either the landlord, utility company or fuel vendor
  • - Have made recent payments of at least $80 toward their

2024 Income Eligibility Guidelines

Persons living at address Maximum gross monthly income
1 $1,823
2 $2,465
3 $3,108
4 $3,750
5 $4,393
6 $5,035
7 $5,678
8 $6,320

For each additional person, add $643 to the Gross Monthly Income.

When applying for LIEP, you must provide the following:

  • Answer all questions on the LIEAP application
  • Signatures of all adults living in the residence
  • Proof of Income (earned and unearned) for anyone living in
    the residence
  • If applicable, provide VA award letter, SSA/SSI award letter or award letter for your pension
  • If claiming self-employment, provide a complete copy of your most recent tax return
  • If requested, you may have to provide a copy of fuel bills (gas, electric, propane, etc.)
  • Proof of child support payments received or the court order
  • If in subsidized housing, provide a copy of your rental agreement

*You must provide COPIES of the documents, not originals.

The Yearly LIEAP application period is generally from the end of January through the last week in March. Check with your DCF office to get the “drop dead” application date. The application deadline is typically the last Friday in March, but this can vary. Talk to DCF!

For more information or to apply for LIEP visit
or call the Kansas Department for Children and Families at 1-800-432-0043

Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)