How do I transfer my child to a new school with an IEP?

Image of a young girl with an orange shirt and pigtails is in a wheelchair. She is smiling in a classroom setting, using an iPad. Out of focus in the background are other students sitting at a table writing. Below the image is a black box with white text reading “HOW DO I TRANSFER MY CHILD TO A NEW SCHOOL WITH AN IEP?”. To the right is a white box with dark blue text reading “LEARN MORE” with and orange and blue cursor icon graphic to the right. Navy blue rectangle with a white, thick, horizontal bar at the top. Over the white is navy blue text that reads: "KNOW YOUR SPECIAL EDUCATION RIGHTS: A GUIDE FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS IN KANSAS." Over the navy blue is white text that reads: "The flyer below and to the left is part of a series of one-page flyers covering over 30 Special Education topics. They are designed to give you "just in time" information for each step of the Special Education process. You can download the whole series in the form of an extensive booklet, or simply choose the topics and view the individual flyers as you need them." Under the text is an orange rectangle with white text reading: "SEE THE WHOLE SERIES HERE" with a white icon of a computer mouse inside of a navy blue circle.

PDF Version: How do I transfer my child to a new school with an IEP?

PDF Version: Full Series

The new school needs to try to get your child’s records from the school your child is coming from. You don’t need to sign anything for the old school to send the records to the new school. It helps if you get a copy of your child’s current IEP (Individualized Education Program) and give it to the new school.

The new school needs to provide FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) to your child. The special education services that they give your child need to be similar or the same as what your child received in their old school. The school will use the IEP from your child’s old school until they have a meeting with you and get a new IEP in place.

What if I am moving to Kansas from a different state?

The new school can either use your child’s old IEP or they can start a new process. This process includes an initial evaluation to decide if your child is still eligible for special education services. You have to give written permission for this evaluation. If your child is eligible for services, then the new IEP is put in place. The IEP Team will create the new IEP. You and your child are key members of the IEP Team.

See more on IEPs here:

What is an IEP?

What should an IEP include?

What if I don’t agree with the services that the new school wants to provide?

First, try to talk with the IEP team. Remember, you and your child are key members of the team. Let them know about the services provided at your old school and why those services are needed. The fact that those services worked before is a strong reason to keep them. If that doesn’t work, you could use mediation. You can also file for due process.

Sources & Additional Resources:

Kansas Special Education Process Handbook. Kansas State Department of Education.

Disclaimer: This fact sheet is not intended to provide specific legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney. Only an attorney can give you specific legal advice based on your particular situation. We try to update our materials regularly, but the law can change frequently. This publication is based on the law at the time that it was written. Future changes in the law could make information in this fact sheet inaccurate.

How do I transfer my child to a new school with an IEP?