What can I do if my child's IEP is not working?

Image of a young girl in a pink shirt and woman sitting across from her on a couch. They are using sign language. The young girl is smiling. Below the image is a black box with white text reading “WHAT CAN I DO IF MY CHILD’S IEP IS NOT WORKING?”. In the top left of the image is a white box with dark blue text reading “LEARN MORE” with a blue and orange cursor icon graphic to the right. Navy blue rectangle with a white, thick, horizontal bar at the top. Over the white is navy blue text that reads: "KNOW YOUR SPECIAL EDUCATION RIGHTS: A GUIDE FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS IN KANSAS." Over the navy blue is white text that reads: "The flyer below and to the left is part of a series of one-page flyers covering over 30 Special Education topics. They are designed to give you "just in time" information for each step of the Special Education process. You can download the whole series in the form of an extensive booklet, or simply choose the topics and view the individual flyers as you need them." Under the text is an orange rectangle with white text reading: "SEE THE WHOLE SERIES HERE" with a white icon of a computer mouse inside of a navy blue circle.

PDF Version: What can I do if my child's IEP is not working?

PDF Version: Full Series

At the IEP (Individualized Education Program) meeting, you and the rest of your child’s school team agreed on the services and support to provide your child. This will be written down in the IEP.

What do you do if you realize your child is not getting these services at school?

1. Ask for a copy of your child’s IEP, if you don’t have it.
2. Review the IEP carefully.
3. Answer the 4 questions below to prepare for a meeting with the school.
4. Request an IEP meeting.
5. Attend the IEP meeting.

See more: Advocating for your child at an IEP meeting

Which goals are being followed? How do you know?

Which goals are not being followed? How do you know?

Which supports are not working and need to be changed?

What are some examples?

I followed all the above steps and nothing got better. What can I do now?

You still have some options:

• Call the Disability Rights Center of Kansas at 877-776-1541
• Call Families Together at 800-264-6343
• Call the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) at 800-203-9462
• Consider filing a formal complaint with KSDE. This is your right as a parent.
- There are some things that you have to include. See page 171 of the Kansas Special Education Process
Handbook (linked at the bottom of this page).

I want to file a complaint. What happens next?

See our flyer on the formal complaint process here. 

Sources & Additional Resources:

Dispute Resolution. Kansas State Department of Education.

Kansas Special Education Process Handbook. Kansas State Department of Education.

Disclaimer: This fact sheet is not intended to provide specific legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney. Only an attorney can give you specific legal advice based on your particular situation. We try to update our materials regularly, but the law can change frequently. This publication is based on the law at the time that it was written. Future changes in the law could make information in this fact sheet inaccurate.

What can I do if my child's IEP is not working?