Consumer's Quick Guide to Ticket to Work

Background image is a man in a wheelchair holding up a tablet and smiling at the camera. He is wearing a red plaid shirt and he has brown hair and a beard and mustache. Toward the left of the image is a white rectangle with orange text reading: "Employment services for Social Security beneficiaries." Below the text is an orange rectangle with white text reading "LEARN MORE" with a black computer mouse icon inside a white circle.

PDF version

What is the Ticket to Work?

The Ticket to Work (Ticket) is a new program of the Social Security Administration. It is a voluntary program for people who receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) because of a disability. The goal of the program is to help SSI and SSDI beneficiaries obtain and maintain employment and earn enough money that they will not need Social Security cash benefits.

The Ticket gives beneficiaries more choices to obtain the services they need to go to work or earn more money because they can now receive those services from either an Employment Network (EN) or Kansas Rehabilitation Services (KRS). An EN is a private organization or government agency that has agreed to work with Social Security Administration to provide employment-related services to beneficiaries. Eligible beneficiaries in Kansas began receiving their Tickets in 2002.

Questions and Answers:

Why am I getting this Ticket to Work? (Ticket)
In late 2002, the Social Security Administration started to send Tickets to Work to eligible SSI or SSDI beneficiaries who are between the ages of 18 and 64. It is an opportunity for you to receive services and supports so that you can go to work if you want to.

Why would I want the Ticket?
The Ticket provides you with options in employment services. Until the Ticket program started, you were limited to the services provided by Kansas Rehabilitation Services (KRS). The Ticket allows you to choose a provider, called an Employment Network (EN), including KRS, that best meets your needs and to receive employment-related services at no cost to you. In addition, the Social Security Administration will not schedule you for any medical continuing disability reviews (CDRs) while you are using the Ticket.

Do I have to use my Ticket?
Participation and use of the Ticket is strictly voluntary. Your Social Security benefits will not be affected if you choose not to use your Ticket.

How do I use my Ticket?
You, the Social Security Beneficiary, can shop to find the employment services provider that best meets your needs. To use your Ticket, you will need to take it to an EN, who will help you develop a plan to go to work, and then provide you with the services you need to follow that plan. Not all ENs serve all consumers, so you will need to contact them and find out which one can help you.

What if I lose my Ticket?
Contact MAXIMUS, the agency that the Social Security Administration has contracted with to administer the Ticket program, at their toll-free number, 1-866-968-7842, for more information or for a replacement.

What is an EN?
An EN is a private organization or government agency approved by the Social Security Administration to help you get the services you need to obtain and maintain employment. For the purpose of the Ticket program, KRS in considered an EN.

Do I have to go to work to keep my Ticket?
You do not have to go to work to keep your Ticket. However, to keep your medical CDR protection, you must make timely progress towards reaching the employment goals that your EN will help you set.

If I go to work, will my benefits be affected?
Working and receiving any income may effect your benefits (i.e.

SSI, SSDI, food stamps, medical, housing). Programs such as Working Healthy (the Kansas Medicaid Buy-In program) and Social Security work incentives, can help reduce or eliminate potential benefits problems. You are strongly encouraged to contact a benefits planner who can help you learn how working may effect your benefits.

Where can I find a benefits planner?
The Kansas Benefits Counselors Network (1-800-550-5804 ext. 532) can provide you with benefits planning or refer you to a benefits planner in your area.

Where can I find out more about the ENs in my area?
Contact the Program Manager MAXIMUS at 1-866-968-7842 or check its web site at for information about ENs in your area.

What if I have a complaint about an EN, service provider, or employer?
Depending on your complaint, Disability Rights Center of Kansas, Inc. (DRC) (1-877-776-1541) can provide you with advice, advocacy or legal representation.

Your Rights as a Ticket Holder:

You have the right to:

  • Receive a full explanation of the services offered by an EN before assigning your Ticket.
  • Have your personal information kept confidential by your EN.
  • Have complete access to information in an EN’s records concerning you. Access means that you may view the records at the EN’s place of business and make copies of the records using the EN’s copying equipment.
  • Work in partnership with your EN to develop and implement your work plan in a manner that allows you to exercise informed choice in selecting employment goals and services.
  • Receive a copy of your work plan in an accessible format of your choice.
  • Receive services and support from only qualified employeesb and providers.
  • Take back or reassign your Ticket at any time.
  • Appeal any EN decision regarding you, or use specific dispute resolution processes if you have a complaint or disagreement with your EN.
  • Receive notice from your EN that information and advocacy services are available to Ticket-holder through Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC).

To Work, Employment and Transition Issues

Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC) provides information, advocacy, and representation to individuals with disabilities. If you:

  • Have questions or concerns about Ticket to Work or other disability-related work issues
  • Want to know more about the rights of individuals with disabilities, or believe that those rights have been violated
  • Need help in resolving a complaint or dispute with an EN or other service provider.
  • Have questions or concerns about Special Education, including transition planning, or
  • Have any other disability-related questions or concerns Call, Write, or Stop In!

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Disability Rights Center of Kansas, Inc.
214 SW 6th Ave.
Topeka, Kansas. 66603
Phone: 785-273-9661(Voice)
(Toll-Free Voice) 877-776-1541
Fax: 785-273-9414
Web page:

Other Contacts:

The following organizations can also provide information about the Ticket to Work:

Social Security Administration
Toll-Free: 1-800-772-1213 Voice
1-800-325-0778 (TTY)

Toll-Free: 1-866-968-7842 Voice
1-866-833-2967 (TTY)

Kansas Benefits Counselors Network
5111 East 21st Street
Wichita, Kansas 67208
Phone: (316) 652-1532
Toll-Free: 1-800-550-5804 (ext. 532)

Kansas Rehabilitation Services
Suite 150
3640 Southwest Topeka Boulevard
Topeka, Kansas 66611
Phone: (785) 267-5301
(785) 267-0352 (TTY)

This information has been approved by the Social Security Administration.

Consumer's Quick Guide to Ticket to Work