Third Economic Impact Payment FAQ

Background is an image of a check from the United States Treasury. At the top is a navy blue rectangle with white text reading: "INFORMATION ON THE THREE ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS FOR KANSANS WITH DISABILITIES." Under the text is a rectangle with white text reading "LEARN MORE" with a small icon of a computer mouse.

PDF version

Didn't receive the Third Economic Impact Payment? Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Learn more on the IRS website. 

What are COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments?

Economic Impact Payments are payments from the government to individuals and/or married couples that meet certain requirements. The IRS is currently sending out the third round of Economic Impact Payments to eligible Americans. This third payment is part of the American Rescue Plan Act, which was signed into law on March 11, 2021.

Am I eligible to receive the payment?

You are eligible for an Economic Impact Payment if -

- You are a United States citizen or resident

- You have a valid Social Security number

- You are not claimed as a dependent

- Your annual income is not more than:

- $75,000 if you are an individual;

- $112, 500 if you are the head of a household; or

- $150,000 if you file taxes jointly as a married couple*

*If your annual income is higher than these amounts, you may still receive a payment at a lesser amount.

How much money will I receive?

Eligible individuals will receive $1,400 and married couples that filed taxes jointly will receive $2,800. You will receive an additional $1,400 for each dependent. This is different than the first two economic impact payments because families will receive a payment for all dependents claimed on their tax return, not just children under 17. This includes many adults with disabilities.

How will I get my payment? Do I have to do anything to receive the third economic impact payment?

Most people will receive their payment automatically. This includes people who filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return. This also includes people who didn’t file a tax return but receive Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Veterans Affairs benefits. Additionally, it includes people who did not file a 2019 or 2020 tax return but registered for the first Economic Impact Payment using the special Non-Filers tool on the IRS website last year.

However, if you got your payment automatically last time solely because you are a Social Security beneficiary (and not because you used the Non-Filers tool or filed a tax return) and you have qualifying dependents, you might need to take additional action to get the payments for your dependents. If this applies to you, file a 2020 tax return and claim the dependent(s) as soon as you can.

When will I get my payment?

The payments continue to be sent out. If you haven’t gotten your payment yet, the best way to check the status is on the Get My Payment tool on the IRS website.

If you receive SSI or SSDI benefits by direct deposit or Direct Express card, you should have received your payment on or around April 7. If you receive SSI or SSDI benefits through the mail, those checks will be mailed beginning on April 9.

How can I check the status of my payment?

You can check the status of your payment on the Get My Payment tool on the IRS website. If your payment has been processed, you will see the date of the payment. You will receive it by direct deposit or in the mail as a check or EIP debit card. If your payment has not been processed, you may also see a message saying that you are eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a date is not yet available. Visit this link:

What do I do if the Get My Payment tool isn’t showing the status of my payment?

There are two messages that you could get instead of the status of your payment. One is Payment Status Not Available. This might mean that you are not eligible for a payment. It could also mean that you are eligible, but your payment hasn’t been processed yet and you should check back later for more information.

You may also see a message that says Need More Information. This means that the post office was unable to deliver your payment. If this happens, you will need to follow the instructions on the IRS website to update your bank information or your address.

I don’t usually file taxes, but last year I used the Non-Filers tool to get my economic impact payment. Do I need to do anything to get the third economic impact payment?

No. Your economic impact payment should be issued to you automatically using the information that you provided last year.

I didn’t file taxes in 2019 or 2020, and I didn’t use the Non-Filers tool last year to get my economic impact payment. Can I still receive the third economic impact payment?

Yes. However, you will not receive the payment automatically. You need to file a 2020 tax return and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit. See below for more information on how to do this.

I should have received the first or second economic impact payment, or I should have received more money than I got. What can I do?

You can get the payment or the rest of the payment by filing a 2020 tax return and claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit. This might have happened to you if you are an SSI or SSDI beneficiary with dependent children if you did not submit additional information to the IRS by the deadline last year. See below for more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

What is the Recovery Rebate Credit? What do I need to do to claim it?

If you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit, you need to file a 2020 tax return in order to get it, even if you otherwise wouldn’t need to file a tax return.  According to the IRS, the fastest and most accurate way for you is to file is electronically where the tax software will help you figure your Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you are a person with a disability or a senior and you need assistance preparing your tax return, there might be a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program open near you. Some sites are not opening this year, but you can check the VITA/TCE Locator Tool at

See more on claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit if you aren’t required to file a tax return here.

What can I do if I don't receive my payment?

The IRS will mail a letter to you after you receive your payment. This letter will say the amount of your payment. If you get the letter and you didn’t receive the payment, follow the instructions in the letter on how to report this.

The payments are still being sent out, so it may take some time for everyone to get theirs. The Get My Payment tool on the IRS website is updated daily, so that is the best way to see the status of your payment.


Scammers may try to use this opportunity to steal your money. The IRS will not ask for your personal or bank account information through text, phone, email, or social media accounts – if you receive requests through these methods, do not provide your information. Only use the portals and links on

I am an SSI or SSDI recipient and I have a representative payee. Will I receive the payment or is it sent to my payee? Can my payee tell me how to spend my payment or keep the payment from me?

The payment will be sent to you in the same way that you receive Social Security payments.  This bank account or other method of receiving payments is most likely controlled by your payee. However, your payee does not have legal authority over this payment, because they are not Social Security benefits. You control how this payment is spent, not your payee. Your Economic Impact Payment is not a Social Security Benefit. It is a payment issued by the IRS. If your payee tells you that you cannot have access to your Economic Impact Payment or your payee receives your payment but does not provide it to you, please contact our office at 1-877-776-1541 or to report this issue.

I am an SSI or SSDI recipient, but I live in a group home, nursing home or other institution.  Am I eligible to receive the Economic Impact Payment or does the payment go directly to the institution to pay for my care?

You are eligible to receive the payment to use as you wish. The payment is not meant to be used by the group home or nursing home for your care. If the group home or nursing home takes or tries to take your payment, please contact our office at 1-877-776-1541 or

I have received the Economic Impact Payment, but I am concerned about how this money will affect my eligibility for Medicaid. I don’t want to lose my healthcare benefits.

This payment is not to be considered as income or as a resource (asset) in determining eligibility for any federal means program for one year. As long as this money is spent within the next year, it will not affect your current or future eligibility for Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Subsidized Housing or TANF.

Third Economic Impact Payment FAQ